The God-Shaped Hole!

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Finitude vs Fallenness

Let's get two things straight here, folks:

  • People make mistakes because people are finite.
  • People sin because people are fallen.


How do I mean this?

I can state that 2 + 2 = 5 because I don't know better. This is ignorance, not sin.

I can state that 2 + 2 = 5 because I'm lying to someone. This is sin, not ignorance.

I can state that 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2 because I'm being funny. This is neither ignorant nor sinful. (And if you believe jokes are sinful, I'm not sure you'll enjoy Heaven...)

Sin is mostly choice-based, though the exact boundaries of where mistakes end and sin begins are dependent on whose mistake or sin it is. A teacher has the responsibility to make sure their statements to students are correct; depending on the subject being taught, this might amount to a sin rather than a big mistake.

God is omniscient. This doesn't just mean "all-knowing". It also means He is infinitely intelligent, that He knows what to do with what He knows. He could not make a mistake, because of this quality.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home