The God-Shaped Hole!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Eternal Weekend

There are three basic types of Christians. Each believes Heaven is like part of the week.

As children, we all believe Heaven is an eternal Saturday, with games, playing, happiness, fun, and casual reading.

I know people who believe Heaven is an eternal Sunday, with worship all the time, forever.

I've heard about Christians who believe there will be work for us to do in Heaven.

That last option intrigues me, and it makes sense intellectually. After all, why go to the trouble of educating us during all our hundred year lives, if we'll never use that for the rest of Eternity?

But I believe that even if there is work, it'll be analogous to a true work week, with fun-and-worship weekends, and every work day will feel like an eternal Friday afternoon, when I'm most productive because I'm looking forward to the weekend.

Of course, I'd love to hang out with God in the Infinite Library for a good ten thousand years or so, catching up on my reading. He'll have me work when He knows I'm ready to work.

And don't get me wrong, I look forward to the purity of worshipping God in His presence; I just don't think he'd waste the other capacities of humanity, the capacities for fun, for learning, and for work that He gave us. After all, He is the God of change, of growth, and of laughter.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home